Friday 7 January 2011

Spotlight on Design: Brown & Blue

When it came to decorating my condo in Toronto, I knew that I had to keep things minimal since it wasn't a permanent home, but at the same time, I wanted things to look good - I wanted to come home from a hard day at University and feel *great* about coming to my home away from home.

I really wanted my style to show through when I decorated the space. I wanted a blend of modern lines and classic curves, a mix of masculine and feminine. I wanted anyone to be able to enter the space and feel like it was relatable.

So, I picked a colour scheme - Brown & Blue. It was a great way to mix all the elements I wanted together. Not really a common colour scheme and I certainly don't believe I was following any trends, but I loved the juxtaposition of the warm and cool colours sort of coming together in perfect synergy.

Like most condos in the downtown core, I was strapped for space. So I really needed to use just the minimum amount of furniture. I ditched a dining table in favor of 2 stools at the counter.


I really didn't want to take away from the beauty of the hardwood floors, so I opted out from putting down any rugs whose colours would clash. I did however want to add a bit of texture to the floor and have something that forms an "island" if you will, which would create a mental separation between the living room and my open concept kitchen. My solution came in the form of a gift from my Papa. A cowhide rug.

Another thing I had to keep in mind was I needed storage. The ottoman I got from Crate & Barrel, is wonderful because it's multi-purpose: it opens up to reveal extra storage and when I am entertaining, it provides extra seating space for guests.

My couch is another one of these mutli-purpose pieces of furniture. In case of guests it pulls out into a queen sleeper. It, along with my ottoman, has very clean straight edges and lines. Nothing fancy, just your average couch in a warm tan colour. I wanted comfort and I got it. I really wanted it to contrast with my victorla and the beautiful sideboard I found at a closing-down antique shop for a steal.

I really tried to space out the layout as much as I could. I wanted maximum functionality and a living area that really flowed well.  

Lighting played a huge part in this and finding the perfect lamp literally took weeks. I love mood lighting, and at nights, I prefer lamp light to overhead lights. It really creates a warm, cosy atmosphere, perfect for relaxing with a book after a long day at work or at school.

Now, of course, the focal point of my entire condo would have to be my gorgeous wallpaper. I knew wanted it to be brown and blue and I also wanted it to be a classical floral design. I wanted it to really represent the aesthetic I was looking for: modern colour scheme coupled with a very classical design. Finding it was an absolute dream!

Finishing up the space is just painting select walls a colour as close to the blue in the wallpaper as possible and of course some throw pillows to bring everything together.


For those of you who like this look, here are some of the key elements that bring this together. Like I mentioned before, my cowhide rug is from my father, but you can easily find a good one in IKEA. Click on the images below for links to the products or alternatives.
Key Elements:

Sources:
Images taken by Trevor Poczynek
Key element images can be found on the website they link to 

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At 7 January 2011 at 08:19 , Blogger Candace said...

Oh I LOVE this room! That wallpaper is fabulous! Well done!

 
At 8 January 2011 at 16:00 , Blogger xNTA said...

:) Thanks Candace. Have a great one! x NTA

 
At 9 January 2011 at 07:39 , Blogger Gabriella said...

Your condo is amazing!
I love the furniture!

 
At 9 January 2011 at 09:07 , Blogger Emily @ Bentobloggy.com said...

Hi, thanks for your comment on Bentobloggy.com! I'm following you now. I love the way you decorated your place! It's beautiful, and the wallpaper is awesome. Great job!

-Emily
Bentobloggy.com

 
At 9 January 2011 at 09:18 , Blogger xNTA said...

:) Thank you for your kind comments!

 
At 9 January 2011 at 13:26 , Blogger Thekla said...

wow amazing post<33333


http://inablondeworld.blogspot.com/ stop by sometime:)xxxx

 
At 10 January 2011 at 05:20 , Blogger Jessica said...

Love it! Looks very inviting and comfortable.
And yay for finding someone else who diggs blue and brown! My guest bathroom is blue and brown and I love it. I'll have to post pics sometime :)

Meara at Not Twenty-Seven Yet

 
At 11 January 2011 at 04:26 , Blogger Mélanie Mahesini Anandakumar said...

I love the wallpaper and your view outside the windows looks fantastic!

 
At 12 January 2011 at 17:36 , Blogger Gina Alfani said...

The color scheme and the way you put it all together is gorgeous! Great job . . .

Thank you for following my blog, Fabulous Frugalista! Come by my Facebook Fan page to promote your giveaways (I just started that page and need all the followers I can get). I have great plans for promoting for everyone!

I'm following you back and looking forward to exploring your blog and your future posts :)

Have a wonderful week . . . Gina

 
At 13 January 2011 at 13:44 , Blogger xNTA said...

@Melanie: Oh it is. 35th floor, after all!

@Gina: I sure will, thanks babe!
x

 
At 18 January 2011 at 16:09 , Blogger Jewelz said...

I love the wall paper! I'm thinking about getting the same one but in white and silver to use as an accent wall :)

http://iamjewelz.blogspot.com/

 
At 29 January 2011 at 21:13 , Blogger Edwina said...

I love everything in your condo!! I'm so jealous, I really wanna live on my own and start decorating my own place! You should definitely show us your bedroom too, if you don't mind :D

 
At 3 March 2011 at 16:11 , Blogger Sonya said...

Beautiful. It's so difficult making a home out of a small space, thanks for the ideas

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home