Thursday 3 February 2011

[VIDEO] Tutorial: Valentine's - Sultry Daytime Look





It's that time of the year again, and though it may not be a favorite of many - all those chocolates, roses and hearts everywhere could make one positively ill - it is however, a great day to play with makeup!

I wanted to recreate a soft, almost dreamy look with an emphasis on two things: your lips and eyes.

Skin was kept minimal - just your basic moisturizing followed by concealer where you need it.

For the eyes, I wanted a soft, smokey, dusky look using deep reds and warm browns.

For the lips I used a deep cherry almost grape colour as a stain, focusing on the center of the lips to create that "Just-been-Kissed" look.

The whole thing put together is a great daytime straight to nighttime look, that has you looking like you've been lavished with attention all day and are ready to be worshiped some more.

I used Revlon Illuminance Crème Shadow in Moonlit Jewels as a base for the eyes. Specifically, the gold and followed by the red to create a warm base for the look.

I absolutely love these colours and though they do have a tendency to crease terribly, if put over an eyeshadow primer and then followed up by a powdered shadow, you won't have that problem.

Remember, Cream Eyeshadows should always be followed by powdered eyeshadows to prevent creasing.

On top of that, I used two colours from the Lacy Afternoon Eternal Imagination Eyeshadow Palette Spicy Mocha by Red Earth.

Specifically a shimmery, warm brown over my cream shadows and a light, shimmery off-white as a highlight colour.

I really do love this palette as it includes a beautiful vibrant purple and a deep midnight blue. Colour pay off for this product is fantastic as well.

I followed up with a cream liner (I used a cream liner by Quo in Black Velvet) which I smudged out using  the same brown from the Red Earth palette, smoking it out slowly with my brush.

Blending is a very slow but important process for me so I really take my time. I've said it before and I'll say it again: The difference between good makeup and great makeup is in the blending.
I really wanted to deepen that red, so using the gorgeous, coppery, rusty red from the Maybelline Eyestudio palette in Irresistibly Ivy, I applied that to the outer corners of my eyes to really bring warm up the look.

Finally, eyelashes were curled, mascara was applied and the eyes are basically done.

I used my favourite mascara, Liner Effect by Bourjois.

This look does do wonderful with fake lashes, but if you'll be wearing it throughout the day, opt out and then maybe add the lashes before you go on your date or whatever else you have planned for the night.
For the lips, I used my favourite lipstick: Deepest Wish by MAC, a deep wine colour that I often pair with a purple-blue lipgloss for an intense-lip look.

For this look however, I toned it down by just really rubbing the product into my lips to create a stained effect. The little subtle colour right at the center of the lips really plays off the eyes and I even used just a little of the lipstick to stain my cheeks to bring out a bit more colour in my face.

And that folks, is basically it!

If you have any questions, please feel free to leave them in the comments section below.

Have a great one!

x

Disclaimer:
I am not affiliated with any of the products mentioned above in any way. I have not been paid by them and all products I mention have been bought by me.
Sources:
Images - All images were taken and edited by me

Labels: , , ,

44 Comments:

At 3 February 2011 at 19:30 , Blogger Paula said...

cute! :) too bad i have nowhere to go on v-day. lol

 
At 3 February 2011 at 23:31 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great tutorial!

 
At 4 February 2011 at 00:37 , Blogger Jane Alisa said...

Great tutorial, I love that Mac lipstick on you :-) xoxo

 
At 4 February 2011 at 01:06 , Blogger Vanilla said...

I love this tutorial :) I love the lipstick shade :)

Love, Vanilla

http://vanillaheartsstyle.blogspot.com/

 
At 4 February 2011 at 09:36 , Anonymous Antonia at Swedish Love Affair said...

Great video! And you have a really pleasant voice, too<3

 
At 4 February 2011 at 16:35 , Blogger Ms. Prettyful Girl said...

I really like this! Very pretty. And your lips are to die for! :) Great vid, amazing intro! I loved it all.

 
At 4 February 2011 at 17:41 , Blogger xNTA said...

:) Thank you all so much!
Have a great one! x http://xnta.blogspot.com/

 
At 5 February 2011 at 06:55 , Blogger Unknown said...

lovely eye makeup!! you need to feature your pug one day :) i LOVE dogs :)!

 
At 5 February 2011 at 07:57 , Blogger Sara said...

great look and thanks for the lovely tutorial :)

 
At 5 February 2011 at 09:40 , Blogger Radiant Make Up said...

loving your eye make up :)
gorgeous post!! x

 
At 5 February 2011 at 10:17 , Blogger devin leiva said...

loved the tutorial im now following :D
xo

DOLLMEUP

 
At 5 February 2011 at 12:41 , Blogger Rachel said...

This is a really cute look! The lipstick shade is gorgeous, I think I'll be using a bright red when I go out on V day :)

 
At 5 February 2011 at 15:38 , Blogger Makeup and Mutts said...

I've given you the versatile blogger award! :)

 
At 5 February 2011 at 18:22 , Blogger Kristen said...

this is a great tutorial, and i love that look!

 
At 5 February 2011 at 20:28 , Blogger SOPHIE WEARS said...

great tutorial :D
in answer to your question about circle contact lens you can get them with power, I have stigmatism too but haven't had any problems with them so far (plus I just try to wear them on special occasion)

 
At 6 February 2011 at 00:12 , Blogger Wise Rabbit Says said...

so pretty !
i would love for you to check out my blog and tell me what you think
Ashley
http://wise-rabbit-says.blogspot.com/

 
At 6 February 2011 at 02:00 , Blogger SweetLikeJelly said...

Great tutorial!

 
At 6 February 2011 at 06:30 , Blogger Alex said...

very natural and pretty

 
At 6 February 2011 at 06:42 , Blogger 20 YORK STREET said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6 February 2011 at 06:43 , Blogger 20 YORK STREET said...

Oh that is brilliant, I love your tutorial and you are so pretty!

xoox,

ML

 
At 6 February 2011 at 09:16 , Blogger Fashion Ranger said...

Wow girl you look completely stunning! Breathtaking.
You just got yourself another follower - good work girl.

Love,
Jacob

 
At 6 February 2011 at 10:48 , Blogger gingerSnaps said...

Wow, this tutorial is great! Luv your vid! And you look very pretty.

 
At 6 February 2011 at 12:03 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow this is great! I love it!

Check out my blog at http://leatherjacketsrougelips.blogspot.com/
xxx

 
At 6 February 2011 at 12:27 , Blogger Venus Loves Virgo said...

Gorgeous! The colors are very romantic but sexy :) You did a great job XOXO

 
At 6 February 2011 at 18:35 , Blogger sbot said...

Thanks for the comment. I love your tutorial, your eyes look great.

www.baublesandbangles.blogspot.com

www.rosivintage.etsy.com

-Stephanie

 
At 7 February 2011 at 01:31 , Blogger Fashion Ranger said...

Thank you so much for your comment on my blog - it made me happy, really happy.
I use Pentax K20D. Lens - Tamron 90mm F/2.8 Macro SP.
When will I see a new post from you? :-)

 
At 7 February 2011 at 01:57 , Blogger Swedish Fashionista said...

Love your make up tips you look really great! Thanks for your comment it made me really happy!

Keep in touch // Swedish Fashionista

 
At 7 February 2011 at 01:59 , Blogger Swedish Fashionista said...

Forgot to say that I'm of course following you now!

 
At 7 February 2011 at 02:20 , Blogger TheBeautyAddict said...

Love the look!!

http://beautyaddictanonymous.blogspot.com

x

 
At 7 February 2011 at 12:03 , Blogger Christina said...

gorgeous! i love it!! thank you for your wonderful comment on my blog, i am now following you via bloglovin and friendconnect :)

xo
christina

christinaandcompany.blogspot.com

 
At 7 February 2011 at 18:01 , Blogger Sarah, Three Boys said...

Oh my goodness! Great job, I love the video and you look awesome:) BTW I don't know why you couldn't just spray your black table. If I remember from the spray paint they recommended a dark primer... so I actually did it wrong:) Go for it!!!

 
At 7 February 2011 at 18:51 , Blogger Jade Purple Brown said...

your eyes look gorgeous, great post!

jadepurplebrown.com

 
At 7 February 2011 at 20:33 , Blogger gt said...

jadoremrplastic.blogspot.com

pretty blog u gained a new follower check my blog out x

 
At 7 February 2011 at 20:35 , Blogger Unknown said...

beautiful post great tips

 
At 8 February 2011 at 08:38 , Blogger BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

What a gorgeous look! Can you come do my makeup? HAHA. Thanks so much for becoming a Rosebud doll!

 
At 8 February 2011 at 15:18 , Blogger Venus Loves Virgo said...

Just showing some love XOXO

 
At 9 February 2011 at 02:42 , Blogger l said...

Amazing! I love the make-up and I LOVE your hair!! I'm now a follower!

http://lauranahla.blogspot.com/

 
At 9 February 2011 at 11:44 , Blogger Lucie said...

Great video!!!!
Great blog! I love it!

 
At 9 February 2011 at 16:17 , Blogger Unknown said...

Great tutorial, thanks for posting this! You look gorgeous :)

 
At 9 February 2011 at 22:31 , Anonymous Marcy said...

Very nice tutorial!!

Marcy,
smudgemyeyeliner.com

 
At 11 February 2011 at 05:37 , Blogger Anahita said...

Great tutorial and lovely look! I really like your eyes :)

 
At 11 February 2011 at 11:04 , Blogger Una B. said...

u are soo cute!love your tutorials and blog!

 
At 15 February 2011 at 16:39 , Blogger Unknown said...

lovely tutorial! enjoyed it thoroughly! :>

 
At 3 April 2011 at 18:53 , Blogger socialitedreams said...

love those brows! thick, gorgeous

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home