Sunday 27 March 2011

Buttercream Frosting Recipe

My last post was on the Vanilla Cupcakes that I made for my birthday. And while that's all good and dandy, what makes a cupcake fantastic is of course, the frosting!

This is a Meringue-based frosting meaning it's made out of eggwhites. There are several different ways of making buttercream and while some may find it tricky, it's actually wonderfully easy! I would want to say it's a piece of cake, but...well...Oh what the hell. Trust me guys.

This one'll be a piece of cake. ;)

For Baking 101 please read this for important baking tips/tricks. Remember: have all your ingredients at room temperature unless stated otherwise!

Ingredients

3 large egg whites
¾ cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1 cup unsalted butter, cut into smaller pieces (I usually do about 12+)

Instructions

Combine egg whites and sugar in a heatproof bowl and set over simmering water. Make sure it is not touching the water

Whisk constantly with a handmixer, and a whisk attachment, on high until mixture reaches 160F. If you don't have a thermometer, whisk until mixture holds stiff peaks

Take off heat and whisk some more until mixture is at room temperature

With paddle attachments, incorporate salt and the butter a little at a time

Finally, beat the mixture on high speed until it is smooth and creamy

You can then add flavourings of choice (or leave plain), such as:
Vanilla, Almond, Chocolate, Caramel, Coconut and my personal favourite, coffee!

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 27 March 2011 at 23:52 , Blogger Kendra said...

Ohh this looks delicious! I want to give it a try!

 PIECE OF CAKE. PEACE OF MIND.

 
At 28 March 2011 at 01:51 , Blogger Single Unsingle said...

Your blog is just tooooooooooo cool!!! As in, I'm in love.

Ok, about this post, can't bake to save my life but i'll keep the recipe for future cases.

PS: I've been tryna get a post slideshow like u have on your blog but nothing seems to work. I've tried every tutorial there is :(

Could u help? Refer me somewhere or something?

I'd appreciate it.

Also, found ya on 20sb n i'm ur newest follower. Duuuuuuh!

Take care.

I'm at www.single-unsingle.blogspot.com

 
At 28 March 2011 at 13:27 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks gorgeous! x

 
At 29 March 2011 at 18:52 , Blogger David Diaz said...

Sounds delicious! I so want to try this! : )

Have a Good Day!

David

VirtuallyStunning.blogspot.com

 
At 30 March 2011 at 11:29 , Blogger Ms. Prettyful Girl said...

Hi, there! I just wanted to let you know that I was given the Stylish Blogger Award and had to pick some bloggers to share it with and I picked you. I think you have a great blog, so cute and unique. Check out my blog to see what I am talking about. Thanks! :)

 
At 1 April 2011 at 22:02 , Blogger Unknown said...

this looks DELISH! i'm going to bookmark this post so that i can make it one day! :D thanks!

 
At 3 April 2011 at 18:33 , Blogger NADIA ABOULHOSN said...

aww youre so sweet! thank you! first off..your blog and youtube are amazing! and of course the icing does make the cupcakes. ahh cupcakes are my favorite EVER!

 
At 4 April 2011 at 12:32 , Blogger Venus Loves Virgo said...

Nice!
XOXO

 
At 11 March 2012 at 13:47 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for a fluffy icing recipe for daughter's cupcake in a jar for her wedding - this could be the winner!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home